Hi
  I increased the number of recursive clients to 2000 and it is working fine now, I
jus want to know if this number is too high and would there be much load because of
this??

> Is your nameserver a caching-nameserver?....if it is, maybe it is being
> used
> by others as their DNS, thus making your nameserver reached it\'s
> maximum
> limit. And is it for your local DNS only?

Yes..it is a caching-nameserver...

 Jesse Delima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> here\'s a note from what I read from the book \"DNS and Bind\" by O\'Reilly,
> its
> kinda long but hope this help.
>
> Limitting the Number of clients
>
> Bind 9 gives you the ability to restrict the number of clients your
> nameserver will serve concurrently.  You can apply a limit to the number
> of
> recursive clients ( resolvers plus name servers using your name server
> as a
> forwarder) with the recurvsive-clients substatement:
>
> options {
>         recursive-clients 10;
> };
>
> The default limit is 1000.  If u find your nameserver refusing
> recursive
> queries and logging as shown by the error you\'ve posted, you may want
> increase the limit. Conversely, if you find your nameserver struggling
> keep up with the deluge of recursive queries, you could lower the
> limit.
>
> You can also apply a limit to the number of TCP connections your name
> server
> will process with the tcp-clients substatement. But TCP connections
> consume
> considererable more resources than UDP because the host needs to track
> the
> state of the TCP connection.
>
> So just increase the recursive-clients substatement.
>
> Is your nameserver a caching-nameserver?....if it is, maybe it is being
> used
> by others as their DNS, thus making your nameserver reached it\'s
> maximum
> limit. And is it for your local DNS only?
>

> ____________________
>
> Jesse
>

> From: Radha.V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:43:38 +0500 (IST)
>
> Hi
>      I\'am running BIND 9.2.1. When I monitor the log messages in
> /var/log/messages I\'am getting the below mentioned error very
> frequently,
>
> \"named[121518]: client 10.1.8.100#4337:no more recursive clients: quota
> reached\"
>
> Whenever this error comes, I\'am unable to resolve any domain. Killing
> all
> nameds and restarting fixes it untill the next error. I found that the
> same
> error has been reported by Tom in BIND Users mailing list archive....and
> reply to his message was \"Try increasing tcp-clients....(default is
> 100)\"
>
> I\'am not clear with this, can anyone tell me in which file I have to
> increase the number of recursive or tcp-clients, if this is the solution
> for
> the error message that I\'am getting....plz advise.

> [...]

Sify Mail - now with Anti-virus protection powered by Trend Micro, USA.
Know more at http://mail.sify.com

One click here and you could be counting money!
StreetsCall from Walletwatch.com. Subscribe now!
http://www.walletwatch.com/cgi-bin/ww/walletwatch/equity/news_articles/news_detail.jsp?oid=11658894