Hi,

today i was investigating the build times of different versions of our
projects. What catched my eye is that the older version of a pretty large multi
module project has significantly faster build times than the newer one. The
older builds in 20 minutes while the newer takes about 1 hour, this is not
explainable by new code introduced.

What I found is that the ivy:report task takes extraordinary amounts of time.
It was never very fast but on some projects the report build time changed like
this:

Ivy version

2.2.0

2.3.0-rc1

Diff

Module 1

ivy:report time

00:00:21

00:06:18

+1800%

html report file size

42.19 MB

867.92 MB

+2057%

graphml report

513.55 KB

573.38 KB

+11%

dot report

83.60 KB

94.11 KB

+12%

Module 2

ivy:report time

00:01:29

00:20:43

+1396%

html report file size

129.58 MB

2.18 GB

+1682%

graphml report

370.96 KB

457.42 KB

+23%

dot report

61.17 KB

75.73 KB

+23%

The call looks like this:

<ivy:report conf="${fetch.configurations},build"
            xml="true"
            dot="true"
            todir="${project.dir.build.ivy-reports}" />

We kept the reports building just in case something strange happens with the
dependencies and with Jenkins it never used to be a problem to wait some extra
minutes, but with these build times it s totaly over the top. Not to mention
that I don't know any browser that can display a html page of 2 GB in a
reasonable amount of time.

Are there some new features I'd miss in the release notes or should I open a
JIRA ticket for this?

kind regards
Daniel

www.salt-solutions.de<http://www.salt-solutions.de>

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Bernhard Blüthner, Dieter Heyde, Markus Honold
Sitz: München, AG München, HRB 146081