Hello Guido

On 08.01.2014 21:01, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
On Monday 06 January 2014 22:06:32 Fabian Wenk wrote:
A friend also had the problem with his xabber client connecting
after he did upgrade jabberd from 2.2.17 to 2.3.1. After I have
just discussed this issue with him again (as I did not had any
problems, but I do not use it from Android), he pocked around in
the settings and did deactivate the option (translated from German):
   "use SASL authentication (recommended)" (deactivate for very
old servers)
in xabber and he is able to connect again.

You are right, if I disable SASL auth, I can login via xabber again.

Tomasz had a private conversation with me. Our conclusion was, that this must be a bug or wrong implementation or translation in xabber.

According to Tomasz the '--enable-superseded' build option in jabberd 2.3.1 does enable legacy (non-SASL) authentication.

According to [1], the following entry is added in the "0.9.19 (release date 2011-12-21)":

"Don't use SASL Authentication" option for old servers

   [1] http://redmine.xabber.com/projects/1/wiki/History

The xabber client from a friend in German language has the following option (in version 0.9.30b):

SASL-Authentifizierung nutzen (empfohlen)
Für sehr alte Server deaktivieren

It seems that this option is somehow inverted, or miss-translated in xabber, as our findings would show what we have tested so far. My friend has reported this to the author of xabber, but did not hear anything back yet.

Maybe you could also add this information (I guess you are also using xabber in German) to the bug report you already created.

I do not know if maybe other clients (like yaxim you mention) share the same code base and those some of the same bugs.

bye
Fabian