Hi Ken,

Sorry to disappoint, but without any feedback as to why the creation of a BufferedImage is a problem we are not likely to create an API like this.

The existing APIs are designed for maximum usefulness to the most developers. Your requirement can be derived from the existing APIs using only about 3 or 4 lines of code. I don't see the need to add more methods to the API here.

For what it's worth, I would stay away from the Toolkit Images and the MediaTracker and PixelGrabber mechanisms for your needs here. They add a huge amount of overhead to the process you are using. ImageI/O does almost exactly what you need with much less overhead...

                        ...jim

Ken Warner wrote:
Something is getting lost in the translation --

When I say "directly" I mean directly from the file bytes into
a byte or integer array without first making an Image or a BufferedImage.

*Something* like this (and I know it doesn't exist so don't get excited)

int [] pixels = Toolkit.createPixelArray(fileBytes,...); Something like that. Notice that I don't make an Image or BufferedImage first. That's what I think would be a useful addition to the greater image
handling api.

Now to all those who are gnashing your teeth about why I don't want to use BufferedImages -- take a valium and have a beer and a ciggy -- relax
and let me live in my own little world without BufferedImages.

Jim Graham wrote:
Hi Ken,

ImageI/O reads images into a BufferedImage which provides easy access to a Java int/byte array with the pixels. Details of pixel access for BufferedImage objects were discussed recently on this thread:

            ...jim

Ken Warner wrote:

I think there is a hole in the greater Java API for working with images.

Images and BufferedImages are great if all you want to do is download
[stuff deleted]