The Raster has bytes that represent the colors of the pixels.  But the bytes
are not in the RGB or sRGB space.  They have to be converted from whatever they
are to the RGB space.

So how do you do that if you don't know what colorspace the Raster bytes are in?

Do you shift left; right; up; down; subtract; add -- what do you do?  That's
the problem.

The conversion happens when a BufferedImage is read.  So the information about
the colorspace in the image is known.  But that information is not available to
a programmer writing an applet or app.

I can get the colorspace that the Raster *SHOULD* be converted to by using the
getRawImageType to get an ImageTypeSpecifier but that only gives me a
colorspace for the dest in the ColorConvertOp.  I need a colorspace for the src
-- the Raster.
[Message sent by forum member 'demonduck' (demonduck)]