> The root of the problem is that readRaster(int,
> ImageReadParam) ignores the ImageTypeSpecifier's
> color and/or destination in the ImageReadParam.

I don't agree with you here.  The javadoc of this method
clearly says that it returns raw pixel data without color
conversion applied, and it ignores image-type parameters.

> If I could specify a ColorSpace or ColorModel in the
> ImageReadParam and that ColorSpace or ColorModel was
> used in the reading, then there would be no problem.

Then you need read(int, ImageReadParam).

At beginning, you said that you'd like to use readRaster(0, null)
instead of read(0) because the former is 10 to 20% faster.
I guess it's faster because it skips the step of color conversion.
If you do color conversion with ColorConvertOp after
readRaster(0, null), the overall performance might not be
better than read(0) .
[Message sent by forum member 'jxc' (jxc)]