> Reposted from
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/chet/archive/2006/10/java
> _on_vista_y.html on Dmitri's suggestion...
>
> So here's an interesting problem, related to - if not
> directly caused by - Java on Vista. Brand new machine
> (Lenovo T61p T7700, 4GB, NVidia Quadro FX 570M
> driving 1680x1050 LCD, Vista Ultimate 32-bit from
> Microsoft GM DVD - not the Lenovo pre-install), with
> Java 1.6.0_03. When docked (but not when not docked),
> I run it in a dual-monitor configuration (add on a
> 1600x1200 external display via DVI). Two or three
> times a day, the machine simply "turns off" when I am
> switching to or from the Java application
> (Interactive Brokers trade station started via .jnlp
> download through Firefox). If I don't have the IB
> Java app running, the machine works flawlessly. If I
> run the IB Java app "undocked" (ie, just the
> 1680x1050 LCD driven), no problem. Seems like an odd
> interaction between the display driver and Java. I'm
> running the NVidia 7.15.11.5685 drivers dated
> 12/10/07. Again, it's not a BSOD. The machine simply
> and instantaneously powers off. Java itself, I hope,
> cannot do that, but the display driver might be able
> to cause such a serious fault.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Dmitri has suggested I try a different Java app and
> the latest build of 6uN, which I'll do. I'll add that
> I run the Java app "full screen" (which, in a dual
> display environment, means only 1 screen - the
> 1600x1200 screen, which is "below" the 1680x1050
> screen).
>
> As I don't have any other Java apps that I routinely
> run, I'm willing to try any Java apps anyone thinks
> might be "best" for this kind of trial.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I will add some more information to this problem. I also use ID Trader Work
Station (TWS), with dual monitors under Vista. I have had the same or similar
error with the system stopping instantly with no error message.

I an running a desktop with an ATI board, very new system all new drivers, and
recent versions of all software, including JAVA, no shortage of memory or CPU.

I have found my error only occured when I was running Open Office at the same
time as IB TWS. Open Office also is very slow in opening files and bringing up
print menus. I would normally call this a developer problem, except the
combination runs fine under XP.

I also had the problem occur while I was using this page earlier today. I
suspect some type of confict involving IO or possible sockets with the
internet, but this is not my area. I will simple not use open office and IB TWS
at the same time.
[Message sent by forum member 'edward34' (edward34)]