[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Java 6u10 provides a method to modify widow opacity. On older machines, I assume without hardware acceleration, setting a window to the non-opaque mode leads to a very high CPU utilization.

  HW acceleration is actually disabled for the window
  with opacity < 1.0 on all OS-es but Windows Vista
  because of the incompatibility between
  DirectX and GDI which were only fixed in Vista.

  So if you're on XP the performance you see is from
  sw-only rendering.

  If you're using non-opaque windows (perpixel translucent),
  it's a bit more complicated.

> I wonder if there is a way to check the availability of hardware acceleration?

  There are many factors involved in performance in this case
  besides hw acceleration (like whether your adapter is AGP or
  PCIX) so I don't think it'd help if you just
  check if hw acceleration is enabled. For one, it could
  be enabled for one window and not another.

  In general, one would use
  GraphicsConfiguration.getImage/BufferCapabilities() to check
  if hw acceleration is enabled. But like I said, they don't have
  enough granularity to help.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri