Hi :)
We had the same problem. Ofcourse your work a round (you described above) works
but it is not a solution.

The work a round we used is:

Instaed:

[i]BorderFactory.createTitledBorder("title");[/i]

You should use:

[b][i]Border objBorder = BorderFactory.createLineBorder(Color.black); //Also u
can create all the rest borders here.

BorderFactory.createTitledBorder(objBorder, "title");[/i][/b]

[b][/b]

This WORKS!

P.S. My opinion is that when Synth L&F tries to paint the border in your case
it use UIManager.getColor(...) and for some reason this doesn't work.
[Message sent by forum member 'ivo_zlatev' (ivo_zlatev)]