From: Adrian Spratt
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] java and jaws

This is one of those areas for a non-expert like me when I'm confused by the
existence of opinions at the extremes. I've just done a little Google
searching and find the following:

Most browsers now no longer need or support JAVA. Unfortunately, Internet
Explorer still does. Firefox is apparently phasing out Java. Google Chrome
doesn't support it, nor does MS Edge.

Many online commentators say that if you do need Java for a specific
purpose, it should be fine so long as you keep it updated. However, I find
Java's update page completely inaccessible.

I wish I could remember why I reinstalled Java after years of not needing
it. I vaguely recall the absence of Java often made 'submit" buttons
impossible for JAWS to locate. Lately, I've been having that problem with
several websites even with Java installed. Fortunately, JAWS is able to find
these buttons when I switch to Chrome.

So, although I haven't made a final decision, I'm leaning toward
uninstalling Java from my system.

If anyone wants to track the webpages I looked at, here's a link to the
google results page that led me to most of them:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=is+orcale%27s+java+safe+as+of+2017%3F&oq=is+orcale%27s+java+safe+as+of+2017%3F&gs_l=hp.3...6571.13768.0.16174.33.31.0.0.0.0.287.3108.12j9j4.25.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..8.22.2640...0j0i131k1j0i3k1j0i13i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1.qvCuOBvNod8#spf=1