  Paul> It also allows users who are, like myself, working in a
  Paul> multilanguage environment (e.g., C/C++/Java) to use a single
  Paul> environment for all their work.

This is my primary motivation for using emacs, and JDE for java. I use
many different languages. And often ones for which big flashy IDE's
are not available. Besides why would I want to learn three different
ways of accessing version control for instance? With Emacs it's always
there, and its always the same.

  Paul> In my view, the JDEE's greatest deficiency in this
  Paul> regard is in debugging support.

I would have to agree with this. For many years I have used Java quite
happily without a debugger, and, of course, its quite feasible to do
this. But recently I spent 5 months writing perl. Now this is a
language which its nearly impossible to write without a
debugger. Coming back to Java, I find that I miss it quite a bit.

Phil