John Russell writes:

 > > I have always loved the responsiveness of Emacs, but this background
 > > semantic parsing is ruining the experience.
 >
 > My biggest problem is having it cache stuff to files when I try to
 > shut down.  This can take 30+seconds for lots of big files while its
 > saving the cached parse output or whatever its doing.  Semantic does
 > seem like a lot of overhead these days.

Hi John,

Have you tried turning off the caching feature, i.e., setting
semanticdb-minor-mode to nil? I'm not sure how much time, if
any, this feature saves when loading a Java file into Emacs.
I've run with this feature off and not noticed any big difference.
But then I don't notice much of a difference when the feature
is on, either.

Paul