Hi again,

I think those improvements will be nice. As for your question, I would guess
that in 90% of the times what scares people away (and creates the urge to turn
things off) are the semantic decorations, that 1) are visually very intrusive
and 2) come as a complete surprise. I think a lot of users are getting CEDET
because it is a requirememnt for JDE and/or ECB - so they may have not read its
documentation, assuming it is just a "under-the-covers" library like a parser
(which it is) not realizing it has also UI-affecting features. Underlines are
also bad because they hide underscores (a small problem that can be annoying
sometimes).

Perhaps using the fringe now that Emacs allows you to have more control on what
goes there? I think other IDEs (e.g. Eclipse) take that approach, of adding
small icons on a left to give you feedback about the code. Just an idea :-)

Regards,
  Nascif