On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 08:08 -0400, Eric M. Ludlam wrote:
> Hi,
>   To be clear, is it just the header line, and semantic decorations
> that scare people away, or the whole set of code helpers including
> imenu, summary-mode, completion mode, and what-not.

It's different.

The header line is most problematic in my case (and maybe others) as I
use the very cool tabbar.el by David Ponce (which is unexplainable to me
still not part of standard emacs...) - So putting something there
exclusively doesn't work for me.

Semantic decorations of methods would be nice, but I never understood
the somehow arbitrary exclusion of "small" methods/functions, but as
Nascif said in another mail, it would be ever so much nicer to use the
fringe to have e.g. clickeable markers for methods which could be used
to show/hide them on demand.

Completion mode is quite nice, but seems to have problems, e.g. (or it's
a problem of semantic/java - I can't decide) the following construct,
point at end of "it" in second line, will not complete as it doesn't
seem to recognize iter to be in scope:
for (Iterator iter = in.iterator(); iter.hasNext();) {
   it<point>
}
Another thing from a users point of view is that it would be really cool
to have jde's class file based completion of methods and semantics
source based completion of in-scope variables merged into _one_. The
problem of semantic in this regard (and the problem many of my coworkers
seem to have with it) is that it has some GUI related features, that
somehow "peek through" the tools that use it (like JDE, ECB) without
really integrating with them.

Please don't take this as an insult to your great work (and the great
work the ECB and JDE guys do) - it's just the impression of the user
visible parts and how they interact.

Thanks,
        jtl

--