Hi Christiaan,

Slow getting through my email backlog after vacation...

On Aug 20, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Christiaan wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about flush() in combination with retainValues. In the
spec it says for retainValues

"If this flag is set to false, then eviction of transactional persistent
instances takes place at transaction commit."

This does not mention flush(), is this done on purpose?

Yes, in the sense that retainValues and restoreValues are intended to specify the behavior of instances transitioning between transactions.

The reason why I ask
is that I was under the impression that flush() can be used to free up
resources if possible, for instance when performing a large transaction. It would be beneficial for memory usage if already processed objects would
become hollow after flush() is being called.

The explicit evict methods are intended for this kind of memory management usage. Are there issues with evict for your purposes?

Best regards,

Craig

kind regards,
Christiaan