Hi.

In starting to sort out how to run Jess from Java as you suggested, I first ran the test file from Jess command line in a bash shell. The error message was now:

Jess> (batch testing.clp)
(deftemplate MAIN::agent
  "$JAVA-OBJECT$ org.cfpm.markets.User"
  (declare (from-class org.cfpm.markets.User))
  (multislot attribute_demands)
  (slot class)
  (multislot location)
  (slot name)
  (slot OBJECT))
Jess reported an error in routine new
       while executing (new User "harvey")
       while executing (bind ?user-agent (new User "harvey"))
       while executing (batch testing.clp).
 Message: Constructor threw an exception.
 Program text: ( batch testing.clp )  at line 1.

Nested exception is:
uchicago/src/sim/util/Random

So from Eclipse, the nexted exception is reported as null -- I guess it isn't picking up the actual error -- while from the command line call it reports the class giving rise to the exception -- though not the exception itself. So I dropped the random number generator I was using (from RePast) and substituted from the standard Java Random class and this solved the problem.

I wonder if anyone else running Jess with RePast has encountered a similar problem.

regards
scott

friedman_hill ernest j wrote:
I think Scott Moss wrote:

Jess reported an error in routine new
   while executing (new User "harvey")
   while executing (bind ?user-agent (new User "harvey")).
 Message: Constructor threw an exception.
 Program text: ( bind ?user-agent ( new User "harvey" ) )  at line 16.

Nested exception is:
null

Run Jess like this:

 java jess.Main -stacktrace myfile.clp

and you'll get a more detailed traceback. You should see the actual
stack trace of the exception the constructor throws. That will surely
give us a clue.

Ernest Friedman-Hill Advanced Software Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
PO Box 969, MS 9012                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Livermore, CA 94550         http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov

--
Professor Scott Moss
Director