Hi,

I am in the process of learning about Jess.  Actually I am currently reading the Jess in Action book and I have a question.  In Section 3, there is the example of the “Tax form advisor”.  I have gone through it and it has answered many questions I had.  It has also sparked several new questions.

Please, would somebody explain this to me:  there are quite a few rules defined in the “Interview” section, some with no “LHS”.  According to the book, “these rules have no patterns and are activated by a call to reset”.  I’m cool with that.  My question is, how does Jess know the order in which these rules get loaded into the Agenda?

I have tried the example many times over, even compared to the output in the book (pages 183 and 184) and the questions are always asked in the same order.  The first question is the one for the annual income, the next is for the ‘home office’.  The ‘home office’ rule was the last one defined in the Interview section.  So, how does Jess know to ask for ‘request-income’ first, then ‘request-home-office’ followed by ‘charity’ and so on?  I realize there are other questions that are qualified by how much income one has.  I am just trying to understand how the non-LHS rules get queued up.

Thank you, and any info would be greatly appreciated…

Joe