I think Roger Studner wrote:

> Is there (I read something 'akin' to this in the mailing archive) a big
> performance hit as well?
>
> I like to use beans/shadow facts for a variety of reasons, but have always
> been under the impression that when i'm going to assert a 'huge' number of a
> particular fact type, that I should be using a deftemplate/fact API versus
> just using defclass/definstance of a bean representing the exact same
> information.

There *was* a performance issue in earlier versions of Jess 6 related
to Fact slots containing Java objects (doesn't matter whether the Fact
is a plan fact or a shadow fact.) The issue was that Jess didn't do
the kind of efficient indexing of those slots that it can do with
primitive types. That's been cleared up now. There's no performance
penalty for using definstances.