From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 12:34 PM
To: jess-users@sandia.gov
Subject: Re: JESS: Bload question

I think Krasnigor, Scott L (N-AST) wrote:
> I performed a bsave from an engine that contains only shadow facts
> (and some simple rules). If I do a bload with that file into a new
> engine, are the facts that are loaded via the bload command remain
shadow facts?
> Or do I need to re-definstance them in order to see modifications to
> the facts in working memory from my java app? Thanks.

Realize that the definition of "the objects" becomes rather slippery in
cases like this. The serialized data file could be read in a completely
different JVM, on a different machine, on a different network, so
there's no way that Jess could reconnect those exact same objects -- the
ones with the same physical RAM addresses, because, even if there were
some way to store a reference to them, they mightn't be there when the
file was read.

There are two things that Jess could do: it could 1) disconnect the
JavaBeans and forget about them; or 2) save them to the file. In the
first case, you lose information, but you avoid problems with
Serializability and identity. In the second case, if the Beans are
serializable and are more value-object-like, then you get the same exact
system back. That's what Jess does: it tries to save the Beans in the
serialized file, so that, under the right conditions, everything ends up
just as it was.