when I first started learning JESS back in 2000, I felt the same way,
but over time I've come to change my mind. In my case, it was because
I really had no clue what expert systems was or what a knowledge base
can do. I had to learn through trial and error the hard way to realize
many of the techniques described in Gary's book are invaluable. It's
just that I wasn't able to absorb those ideas and approaches until I
had acquired sufficient experience.

there's definitely a need for a book that applies expert system and
knowledge base techniques to business problems. in my bias opinion
Jess In Action is one of those rare books, but there is a lot more
beyond Jess in Action. For me, it is the best place to start. Mileage
will vary depending on the problem and project requirements obviously.

peter