Decision tables are an old design techniques, popular with business analysts
since the 60s. Automated translation into code is what makes this approach
so valuable, from a representation of tables as a spreadsheet, or in some
other way. But consider (what is not an exhaustive analysis):

   - If you do not have automatic translation into rules, decision tables
   are a good means for specifying requirements. But this does not mean that
   manually mimicking a translator is a good implementation technique.
   - Implementing a spreadsheet-to-rule translator is not too difficult,
   provided you know your target language very well. (But read on.)
   - On principle, decision tables restrict the rule language to a selective
   and parameterized conjunctive combination of patterns and constraints.
   (Table rows (or columns) is linear, condition grammar is recursive.)
   - One decision table must result in a number of structurally similar
   rules. To fully exploit the power of a production system such as Jess,
   you'll need more than one table or additional hand-written rules.
   - Apparently, the spreadsheet as a file defining constants for
   constraints mitigates the issue of hard coded constants, but it doesn't
   really solve it. For one thing, you cannot use (additional) rules for their
   validation, as you mght do with a set of "constant facts".

Decision tables are just one technique among several for hiding or
cushioning the intricacies of a rule language from greenhorn rule authors.
But, at the bottom of it, designing and writing rules is a (sometimes
taxing) work for programmers with experience, and no matter what the sales
spiel of some rule vendor says: it's only simple things that really are
simple.

-W