On Feb 9, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Skeptic . wrote:

Hi,

By default, is the firing order deterministic? (i.e. rules fired in the same order if the same WM is given).

Also, is the order of the facts produced by the next method on a QueryResult deterministic? (i.e. if I run the same defquery twice on the same WM, I get the same facts in the same order)

Jess's behavior is in no way *random*, which means it's completely deterministic. But the order in which these things occur is *undefined*, which means that it is determined by a number of factors, some of which are not visible to you. One of those factors is the number of hash buckets in the various node memories; if a node memory is rehashed, then the order may change within a given session.

But if you run a single-threaded Jess program twice, starting from scratch, and execute the exact same sequence of commands both times, then you will get the exact same results.

Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories
PO Box 969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550
http://www.jessrules.com