From: Friedman-Hill, Ernest [mailto:ejfr...@sandia.gov]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 10:15 AM
To: jess-users
Subject: RE: JESS: Using JESS for representing game states

It is true that the Rete algorithm (on which Jess is based) is built on the
assumption that only a small fraction (usually quoted as 5-10%) of the
knowledge base will change on each evaluation cycle. Populating the network
from scratch is expensive and constantly resetting it does degrade
performance quite seriously.

On the other hand, if the whole knowledge base must be constantly
reevaluated, than no other algorithm will necessarily be any better. Rather
than searching for other tools, you might put some work into figuring out
how to preserve those parts of the KB that don't change as frequently,
rather than constantly resetting. Presumably there are stationary objects
and information about ownership and properties that don't change often.

  _____