Jmol Developers, and friends of Jmol,

I will use this as an opportunity to pitch my latest project, which is *not
*Jmol:

SwingJS. http://sourceforge.net/projects/swingjs/

The objective of this project is to have a "universal" applet
Java-to-JavaScript conversion, allowing drop-in of working Swing applets
and after working through a series of conversion tasks -- that for simple
applets should not amount to much, if anything -- one-button clicking to
web-ready JavaScript.

Even with a moderate amount of success along those lines, we should have
something very useful, and I really think very fundamentally valuable: a
way to allow programmers at any level -- especially entry level -- access
to the Java programming language for web use. This was, in my mind, one of
the greatest losses of the Java web security debacle. It's time someone
opened this up again!

Swingjs is working for very simple applets; no major problems seen, just a
lot of work to do to fill in the blanks. Taking things one step at a time
right now. See

http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/swingjs/site/swingjs/test_3.htm

That's an untouched Java Swing applet that converts to JavaScript with no
changes whatsoever in about 40 seconds. Code:
http://sourceforge.net/p/swingjs/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/swingjs/test/Test_3.java

This demo implements JPanel, JLabel, JButton, JRadioButton, JCheckBox,
JTextBox, FlowLayout, and BorderLayout, and event listeners.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darned close. The "notes" document I am
keeping is at

http://sourceforge.net/p/swingjs/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/doc/Differences.txt

in case you are interested in following along.

We could really use some help on this. There's still a huge amount of work
to do, and some seriously hard problems still to solve.  But the good news
is that a lot of the basics are in place -- AWT event processing, basic
HTML5 "component peer" and "componentUI" framework is working. The event
listener system working; java.lang.Thread is working (with restrictions, of
course).

Overall goal is to have this working smoothly by the end of the summer.

Java Developers welcome!!!

Bob

--
Robert M. Hanson
Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900