> Wow, that's very helpful, thank you! So I assume if you can create a
> permanent console in Jsmol,
> it's possible in Jmol as well.

Java is a different business, the console IS a java window so you cannot fix it
in the page.
Example test: http://biomodel.uah.es/JSmol/test_console.htm?_USE=JAVA

> would it be possible to instead
> customize the right click menu

Yes. Please see
http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Custom_Menus
http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Recycling_Corner#Custom_pop-up_menus

> and have the right click menu be permanent?

That will be tricky, but you might follow the same method as for the console.
and
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/#menu