It would be totally inconvenient to treat the byte[] mmtf data as String
data.
You can cache the binary data as a byte array and then pass a cache://
protocol.
Way better would be to pass the data as a buffered stream, but I don't
think that is set up in Jmol.

You have the data in what form? Full byte array? BufferedInputStream?

The MMTF reader needs a javajs.api.GenericBinaryDocument.
This it gets from
jmol.adapter.smarter.SmarterJmolAdapter.getAtomSetCollectionFromReader.

I think I can tweak viewer.loadModelFromFile to allow you to feed it a
BufferedInputStream. Right now it is only set up for a java.io.Reader.

Will that work for you?

Bob

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Spencer Bliven <spencer.bli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to update the way BioJava interacts with Jmol. We're currently
> that string to JmolViewer.openStringInline(). Now that Jmol 14.6 is
> available in maven, we need to move away from PDB.
>
> My first choice would be to use MMTF as the exchange format. Is there a
> way to pass MMTF to Jmol? Resolver.determineAtomSetCollectionReader
> failed (probably correctly) to recognize an MMTF binary stream when
> converted to a string using the default encoding, so openStringInline()
> doesn't work.
>
> Possibly related, the mmtf demo at http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/
> jmol/jsmol/mmtf.htm gives an unrecognized file format error for me.
>
> -Spencer

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900