I have a method writeToOutputStream(Structure structure, OutputStream
outputStream) that does the mmtf writing. I have flexibility in what type
of OutputStream to use. The byte[] is accessible using a
ByteArrayOutputStream. If it makes more sense to pass an input stream, I
guess this should be possible too using PipedInputStream.

Is this the most efficient way to communicate with Jmol given that it's
embedded in the same process? For instance, could I just populate some data
structure directly? (I might still go with MMTF, since it's fully
implemented already)

-Spencer