And regarding these worries...

> The tmp.aI5qUbCWPc folder changes (it's randomly generated) and I'll be careful that it doesn't
> coincidentally collide with the above list.

You can redefine and hence override the variable used by Jmol, to always avoid binary handling

add for example
      Jmol._binaryTypes = [".spartan"];

make sure it is called in your page after the Jmol object initialisation has finished and before the load command

I am not sure what will happen if you declare it as empty array; spartan will never appear at random, I guess ;-)