I don't have any *insider* information of any kind, but their "About" page
seems pretty clear that they're in favor of allowing users to use Java and
any other plugins if they wish. Also revealing is this page from their
blog:

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/waterfox-52.0-release-download

which indicates that the project may soon fork and only get security
updates from now on (because of a major structural change that Firefox is
introducing). Anyways, on that page they also list NPAPI support as part of
the feature-set of Waterfox, so hopefully that doesn't change any time soon.

It doesn't need to last forever, at some stage the performance differences
between jsmol and jmol will be negligible for all but the largest
structures on modern computers.