Thanks, Henry! I did not know about unchecking "Run in safe mode" (hidden unless you hold down the option key). After doing that, I can run Jmol_S Java applet from local files (FirstGlance in Jmol) in Safari, which is convenient for testing while developing.

We list browsers that still support Java here:
http://proteopedia.org/w/Installing_and_enabling_Java#Browsers_That_Support_Java

Those that will run Jmol_S Java applet from local files are:
OS X: Waterfox, Seamonkey, Safari (fussy to configure, see above).
Firefox ESR (see above link) maybe -- my system is unreliable for testing this for idiosyncratic reasons.

Windows 10: Pale Moon, Seamonkey, Maxthon (but see caution about data sent to China by Maxthon at above link). I can't test Waterfox or Firefox ESR because I don't have 64-bit Windows.

All browsers that will run Jmol_S/Java applet from local files will also run JSmol from local files, with the exception of Maxthon.

Best regards, Eric