Dear Nicholas,

Angel is correct. By default, Jmol shows the secondary structure that the authors specified in the PDB file with HELIX, SHEET and TURN records. You will notice that often, authors do not specify TURN records so there are no blue turns initially. After you calculate structure, and color structure, turns are colored blue, and the ends of strands and helices may be different than before.

Also, Jmol distinguishes three kinds of helices, and gives them distinct colors:

 * Alpha 3.6(13)
 * 3.0(10)
 * Pi 4.4(16)

Each kind is illustrated here in JSmol: