Thanks. After few hours, I've just arrived at a similar solution. What I did is
delete the content of the history file in .jmol and restart. Console window
back. I didn't know about the different behaviour between close and exit and
click on the windows though. Normally it doesn't matter too much, except in
this case it would try to open the window out of the screen.

Did you try moving the console to where you want it, then clicking Quit
(or Close) from Jmol's pull-down File menu? On a Mac, this saves the
window positions so the next time you start Jmol, they are remembered.
In contrast, other methods of quitting (Jmol menu in the menubar, Quit;
Cmd-Q) do NOT save the window positions. Not sure about Windows 7.