Hello, all.

I saw the note about Klasses.jar on the list, rebuilt, and reinstalled.
That was evidently part of the problem I was seeing, as now javac comes
back with an error, as opposed to being utterly silent. Here's what I'm
seeing now:

acheron 1 /home/mason/work/java$ javac hello.java
java.lang.VerifyError: at pc 5 sp 7 not in range [4, 6]
        at java.io.PushbackReader.<init>(PushbackReader.java:32)
        at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:68)
        at at.dms.compiler.tools.antlr.extra.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:81)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.parseFile(Main.java:278)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.run(Main.java:116)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.compile(Main.java:68)
        at at.dms.kjc.Main.main(Main.java:59)

In case it matters, here's the hello.java file. I assume it's nothing to do
with that, in part because other javac's compile it okay.

// 40 line Java demo, Peter van der Linden

import java.awt.*;

class hello extends Frame
{
        static int x=0,y=120;   // x,y position to display message
        static int i=0;
        static int LtoR=1;      // 1->we are moving msg L-to-R, 0->top to bott.
        Font fb = new Font("TimesRoman", Font.BOLD, 36);
        String msg[] = {"Java", "Portable", "Secure", "Easy"};
        Color color[] = {Color.blue, Color.yellow, Color.green, Color.red};

        public void
        paint(Graphics g)       // gets called by the runtime library
        {
                g.setFont( fb );
                g.setColor( color[i] );
                g.drawString(msg[i],x,y);
        }

        static public void
        main(String s[]) throws Exception
        {
                hello mf = new hello();
                mf.setSize(220,200);
                int pixelsPerLine=200, totalLines=4;
                mf.setVisible(true);

                for (int j=0;j<pixelsPerLine*totalLines; j++) {
                        Thread.sleep(25);
                        mf.repaint();
                        if (LtoR==1) {
                                if ( (x+=3) < 200) continue;
                                i = ++i % 4;            // move index to next
                                                        // msg/color
                                x=50; y=0; LtoR=0;      // move msg top to
                                                        // bott next time
                        } else {
                                if ( (y+=3) < 200)
                                        continue;
                                i = ++i % 4;            // move index to next
                                                        // msg/color
                                x=0;                    // move msg L-to-R next
                                y=120;                  // time
                                LtoR=1;
                        }
                }
        System.exit(0);
        }
}

Thanks in advance for clues.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      https://acheron.ne.client2.attbi.com/