On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:04:32AM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:

> For future releases, I'd like to propose a version numbering scheme similar
> to what's used for the Linux kernel.

Out of curiosity, what is gained by that? It seems somewhat arbitrary, as
the Linux kernel does it. I'm mostly in favour of the way NetBSD does
things, FWIW. Release periodically, branching at each release, and simply
dump new features into the trunk.

I'm also in favour of frequent releases, however, so that folks wanting the
stability of running a release branch never get too horribly far behind.
This is not an area where NetBSD shines, but there's no reason why Kaffe
can't do it.

> When we're in full swing development mode, I'd like to see releases made
> every few weeks or so.

Is development active enough to warrant this? Unless there's a crazy amount
of development going on, I'd think that doing nothing more frequent than
one release per two months would be a sane minimum span of time. The goal,
I expect, is to get folks to use Kaffe and start integrating it into their
work, and having to update more than a few times per year will become per-
nicious, I expect, when what people most want is a stable platform on which
to base their Java projects.

With sufficient change, and with a tradition of quality and stability, of
course, updates can come more frequently without making the user base too
nervous. It would of course be cool to see Kaffe rapidly catch up with Java
1.4, for instance.

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt. I'm new to Java, and I don't
have commit access to the repository, so I can be safely ignored. :P

--
Mason Loring Bliss          awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      https://acheron.ne.client2.attbi.com/