Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Greg Banks wrote:
>
> > > Why do you want to do the parser/syntax switch separately? Why do you want
> > > to write and test a parser just to be throw it away again?
> >
> > So that the changes have some chance of getting past Linus.
>
> Sorry, but that's a dumb reason. Linus is quite capable to understand the
> reasons, if you explain them to him. Linus will likely not accept
> controversial changes.

Ok, perhaps I'm being over-cautious, but after seeing the reception that
both CML2 and kbuild2.5 received I'm leery of doing anything other than
strictly evolutionary (i.e. gradualist) changes.

> > So said ESR.
>
> No, he said you have to configure your kernel like aunt Tillie, so you
> get laid. ;-)

Followed by a 15-line signature about guns ;-)

Greg.
--
the price of civilisation today is a courageous willingness to prevail,
with force, if necessary, against whatever vicious and uncomprehending