Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Greg Banks wrote:
>
> > > I dislike the requirement to convert all existing config.in files to
> > > support the new syntax. You already have the machinery to do the
> > > conversion online as needed, so why not detect if config.in is newer
> > > than config.lkc and if thats the case regenerate config.lkc.
> >
> > I think this would be very useful if it were possible, as it would
> > enable a gradual directory-by-directory switchover.  That is a clear
> > requirement I believe.
>
> Why should that be a requirement? You can already look now at the new
> config files "directory-by-directory", if anything is wrong with them, I'd
> really like to hear it and I'll do my best to fix it.

I don't think anything is wrong with them, but if you allow for gradual
switchover you avoid all the flag-day politics.

Having said that, I think doing automatic translation is a gigantic and
more important step forward.

Greg.
--
the price of civilisation today is a courageous willingness to prevail,
with force, if necessary, against whatever vicious and uncomprehending