Hi kbuild team,

What is the status of kbuild with respect to getting into the kernel
proper ?
Is it going to get into the linus kernel source tree ??

The reason I ask is that I require a kernel build system for the 2.4
kernel on a embedded PowerPC architecture.  It seems that only the i386
is being actively maintained.

I did do some work in porting the kbuild-2.5-1.12 to 2.4.18-pre8 some
time ago.  It worked but did not work well with my Configuration
Management System (Aegis).  Aparently kbuild-2.5-3.0 onwards should work
with Aegis but I don't really have to time to report everything from
scratch again.  I can probably generate patches for the work I've done
for the embedded boards if anyone is interested ?  Unfortunately these
patches would not be against the vanilla kernel sources, but against the
linuxppc kernel tree (linuxppc_2_4_devel to be procise).

So does anyone know if kbuild-2.5 is likely to become mainstream in the
near future ?
If so, is it going to be backported to 2.4 for all architectures ?
If not, is there anything in the vanilla kernel that will build from a a
readonly repository ?

I hope kbuild-2.5 does have a future because so much hard work has gone
into it.  It would be a shame to see all the effort wasted.

Many thanks,
Brendan Simon.