On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:05:06PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On the subject of randomisation, this article..
> http://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/notices/assessing_the_tux_strength_part_2_into_the_kernel/
> bugged me.  Notably the discrepancy between Fedora and everyone else on the
> shlib test.
> I didn't get around to testing whether this was a side-effect of the
> ascii-armor patch.
>
> I also couldn't reproduce the results the article author noted, on 32bit or
> 64bit,
> but iirc, it was still lower than the results for everyone else.
>
> any ideas for what could be the cause ?

When I read that, I assumed so, yes. Their methodology[1] wasn't
great. The only way that I can see them getting those results were from
running Fedora on 32bit and Ubuntu on 64bit, but that seems unlikely
given the measured bit size on the other tests. I would have expected
Fedora and Ubuntu to behave the same entropy-wise (poorly) for 32bit
non-NX. Unfortunately, they didn't really specify what hardware or
images they used. (Ubuntu's 32 and 64 bit kernels have the same suffix
"-generic".)

I suspect another factor may be that paxtest can give inconsistent output
when doing the ASLR test.

-Kees

[1]
http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/2010/09/07/cross-distro-default-security-protection-review/