..

Je la 09/10/2015 13:11, Jaroslaw Staniek skribis :
On 9 October 2015 at 12:59, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com> wrote:
Hi Jaroslaw, You should provide clear instructions how to install these new releases in Ubuntu. It is the largest Linux distribution, and therefore the largest potential base of users. But if people can't upgrade to new releases, you aren't going to attract them to Kexi. I have use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and am stuck in Kexi 2.8.5 which has certain very serious bugs. 2.9.8 may provide the solution, but I can't access it. I've asked for help before on this, and not receive any clear answers. The sense one gets is that if one's OS is not KDE, then Kexi admin has no interest in you as a potential user. Upgrading to new releases should be clear and easy to do, without any fancy manipulations and unknown pathways. It should be just a simple click away. In the absence of that, your Kexi user base will not grow-- certainly not the way it could.
Hi Swarup, Sending to the list - I can't reply privately. I see what you mean. But resources for distributing the binaries are not at the side of the Kexi project curently. Let's note that the idea of "LTS" does not mean not long-term-support for apps that evolve beyond security patches. LTS just effectively "freezes" access to the updates. https://userbase.kde.org/Calligra/Download should be updated by users of Ubuntu. You can try to force your distributor to ship upgrade or reconsider using LTS. Please always update the page if you care about users of this distro. Shipping binaries in a custom repository ppa is a solution but someone needs to do that every month again and again. And test, sometimes backport. This is Linux' Achilles' heel. I don't know why one can need the LTS with its policies. Linux was about freedom, now it seems that it's clearly more straighforward to downgrade/upgrade Windows and still have access to (fresh Kexi soon). Volunteers are welcome. Please spread the word.

The situation is similar for Musescore https://musescore.org/en and there is someone (surveys an automate) who maintains PPAs See https://launchpad.net/~mscore-ubuntu/+archive/ubuntu/mscore-nightly Its very comfortable for "basic" users of Ubuntu who however don't fear to test recent evolutions of their prefered software..