Given the recent thread on making Legacy a build option and
after a number of conversations with people familiar with the
source code, it seems that a number of developers believe
that the Legacy canvas code is really holding back a lot of
improvements to the code structure. I would suggest that in
the V5 release, each time pcbnew is started it should always
default to GAL (or Cairo if someone is using a laptop from 2001).
On top of that, each time a user decides to switch to the Legacy
canvas I would throw up a nag screen to tell the user that the
canvas they are selecting has been deprecated and will be
removed in the next release and that the user should use the
GAL canvas instead and report any missing or buggy tools
via the bugtracker.

I think ripping out Legacy soon after release would be a good
thing and will allow (some of us) to concentrate on improved
modularity (and maintainability) of the code. Encouraging
people to use GAL in V5 (while also discouraging them from
using Legacy) should hopefully get us the bug reports we need
to implement and polish up the GAL tools.

Any comments?

- Cirilo