I had my name on a thread in the -steer archives of 2006.09.01, along
with jhriv, jp, lb, and gkra.

Today I received the email containing this message
> i was nice and alerted you about spam on your domain and you expose my
> address to spammers!?
> http://www.kernel-panic.org/pipermail/kplug-steer/2006-September/002752.html
>
> please make this page (and any on other mail-archives you forwarded that mail
> to) disappear asap.
>
> unfriendly regards,
> helge

The To: header had all the above listed names (except jp), with multiple
addresses for several recipients.
  <she evidently has some research talents!>

Well, I would say *the gripe is valid* in that that our archives have a
raw email address in the subject line, and that could be (and maybe has)
been harvested by spambots.

I guess the software has a mechanism to [mildly] obfuscate email
addresses from data -- but (I would guess) it probably doesn't try to
modify anything in subject or body.

I can envision an argument that diddling email-addresses within the body
might have unforseen (undesirable) consequences, but..

..it seems reasonable to me that it would be worthwhile (and cheap) to
look for and _fix_ addresses that inadvertently get into subject lines.

I suspect it is a rare occurrence, but still might be useful.

As an aside, it might also be useful to have our own little page of
recommendations, reminders, and maybe even <sigh> rules that we can
refer users to.

Can anybody comment on how/whether subject-diddling might be done?

Also, should we respond somehow to Helge?

Regards,
..jim

--
KPLUG-Steer@kernel-panic.org