Over the years we have seen many people survive crashes where little is
left of the KR except splinters.  It seems clear to me the KR does a
life-saving job of absorbing the shocks of impact, allowing enough margin
for the pilot to survive.  It's happened too many times - pilot alive,
airplane completely shattered - for it to be categorized as a fluke or
stroke of good luck.  Certainly "good luck" plays its part in things, but
pilots surviving such catastrophic events is more the norm than the
exception.  Some planes seem to be deadlier than others when things go
wrong and the KR seems to be a shining example of those that aren't -
most of the time anyway.

> "Craig what motor was that?"

Whatever engine it had needed an uninterrupted source of fuel and
ignition.  Joe says it "sputtered".  They all do that if they don't get
their needs met.

For anyone contemplating their initial flights with their newly completed
KR's, please give yourself the gift of the longest runway you can
possibly find within a reasonable distance.  Margins need to be huge when
it's "early days" in the life of a new airplane.  There will be plenty of
opportunities later on to depend upon luck.

Although not relevant in this event, that long runway needs to be
uncontrolled as well as long.   Outside distraction is the last thing
needed by someone getting to know a brand new airplane.

So sorry about your crash Joe.  Along with everyone else I'm really glad
you are able to tell us about it.

Mike Stirewalt
KSEE

Certainly flukes and good luck play their parts but this aspect of  the
pattern

  Surviving these catastrophies - pilot alive, KR in many small pieces -
is

Craig what motor was that

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.