I've used the .PO based workflow from the beginning of my OOO/LO L10N stint, and yes, you'd get those problems in such environment.

You'd just have to keep the IDs for strings translations' variants/exceptions/etc. separately.

That was how I was dealing with the problem, anyway -- last time I looked, there was no easy way to save this in .PO files created from the POT sets published by OOO/LO teams. Can't rightly remember, seems the extra info was lost in migration from POT set to POT set.

-Yury