I have tested the new "unduplicate simple meanings" on the US thesaurus
and it found duplicated meanings in 752 synonyms:

(moving the conversation to BCC for l10n and QA; interested people can follow-up on dev)

May I know what is the definition of a "duplicate" meaning for your tool? It looks interesting. I may want to test it on the Italian dictionary too.

Not sure if I should convert the thesaurus to UTF-8 and then remove the
duplicates... what do you suggest?

I converted the Italian dictionary to UTF-8 long ago without any reported issues. I fail to see how/this is related to a de-duplication of some kind.

Regards,
  Andrea.