On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here is my list:
>
>   * Update bundled redland / rasqal / raptor to fix a CVE.  This is
>     currently in progress.  The FreeBSD port has been using the system
>     versions of the latest and greatest.
>
>   * Updated bundled serf to fix a CVE and a WebDAV issue.  The FreeBSD
>     port has been using the system version of the latest and greatest.
>
>   * [low priority] Update bundled vigra.  This version is no longer
>     available upstream.  It is used by the basebmp module, but I don't
>     know what it is used for or how to test it.  I believe only the
>     headers are used.  The FreeBSD port uses the latest and greatest
>     version and I haven't heard of any problems.
>
>   * [low priority] Updated bundled CoinMP.  There has been an API
>     change, which prevents the FreeBSD port from using the system
>     version.  Difficulty unknown ...
>
>   * Fix the easy to fix compiler warnings.  In the case of unused
>     private class member variables, deleting them would cause an ABI
>     change because the object size would shrink.  If that is a problem
>     the alternate would be to mark them unused.  I think there are only
>     a small number of these, but they get reported many times.
>
>   * Handle the Wiki Publisher and PDF Import extensions as integrated
>     extensions:
>     <https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Setup_-_Bundled_Extensions>
>     I've done some work on this in the FreeBSD port, but I haven't
>     tackled the installer part for other platforms.
>
>   * Fix a problem that I stumbled across involving extensions that can
>     cause an infinite crash / recover loop.  I think I can generate an
>     alert when I detect the problem.  I'm not sure if I can use an
>     existing alert message or will need a new one.  If the latter, then
>     there will be some translation work required.
>
>   * Give network connection failures a more informative error message.
>     I stumbled across this when tracking down a problem that was
>     confined to FreeBSD.
>

> Someone should fix the broken spellcheck problem.  It generates a lot of
> complaints from our users.

The "broken spellcheck problem" seems largely to be caused by over hasty
close-down of the computer before cached files (both hardware and software
caches) are properly written to disk.  User education is the answer - educate
them to be patient in closedown and wait for disk activity to finish before
power-off.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>