Plus, you know, our examples of the very old laces have been washed and ironed
many times, and we don’t have in our museums every single pricking for them. So
it might be that many of the lacemakers of, say, 300 years ago, did indeed use
support pins when they needed them. I would not be surprised if “not using
support pins” was something that happened over the past 150 years, as the
industry gave way to machine-made laces and lacemakers desperately tried to
speed up their lacemaking in order to earn enough to live on.

Just a thought. It’s possible, anyway.

Adele
Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)