At the risk of being called lace police there is no need to use support pins,
they have to be placed very accurately not to show later.  However the way I
was taught by Anne-Marie to do an input is not quite what is shown in a colour
working diagram.  As I can't post a picture here I will try and describe:

- work through all the passives except the last one (the inner ring pair)
- cloth the last passive (the inner ring pair) with the first pair from the
input
- take the worker in cloth through both these pairs
- take the unused (lower) pair at the input and use this as your new worker
across the row

The tensioning seems very strange at first but you can tension back against
the pin with this method much easier and you don't need to support anything
with extra pins.

You reverse this for an output.

You can see this method in some old Binche laces

Susan
Susan Roberts
Website: www.susanroberts.info