I use support pins in Binche Lace primarily at take-ins and take-outs,
especially where the work is in half-stitch.  Without the support pin, the
worker thread tends to pull the passives away from the edge, leaving an
undesirable hole.  I use the finest insect pins I can find, and put a dot of
red nail polish on the heads of the these pins so that once I have gotten
beyond that area I can take them out.  I also learned about support pins from
Ulrike, way back when I had only been making Lace for about a year!

Clay