Hi Everybody:

I have a feeling that historically, lacemakers didn’t tension quite as much as
we do.

When I was learning Mechlin ground, for example, I was advised to just tension
after the first CTC and then not to worry so much at the end of the ground
stitch. That worked better than all the tensioning I had been doing. In cloth
stitch areas, it’s amazing how things pull themselves into shape a row or two
later, without me being that concerned with tension. Of course if there are
great loops in my work I do tension them out, but I find I can usually not
tension as much as I used to, and it makes no difference.

There are lots of times when you don’t need support pins because the passive
pair that has just been picked up as a worker can be tensioned while holding
down the pair next to it. So, if you pick up a passive pair on the left of the
cloth area, and work it across to the right, when you tension it you just make
sure you hold down the passive pair that was just to the right of where it was
originally. That pair, held down, will prevent you from pulling the cloth
stitch area out of shape.

And then sometimes there’s no pair to tension against, or for some other reason
you want to use a support pin. If you get to the end of the row and you see the
support pin wasn’t in the right place, move it. You don’t need to undo your
work, just pick your pin up and budge it over a bit. There will always be a
little hole in the lace from the support pin, but when you finish the lace and
it gets dampened, you can fiddle with the little hole then if it really bothers
you.

Hope this helps.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC