Dear Alison,

There is a long history of nuns making bobbin lace in Asia.  They went
there as missionaries from European nations.  I have a  Mechlin lace-trimmed
handkerchief beautifully handmade in the early  20th C. that was probably made
in Asia.  It is a very convincing copy of an  18th Century lace, shown on
page 162 of Lady Emily Reigate's Illustrated Guide  to Lace - border of
basket of flowers alternating with huntsman and  reindeer.  After considerable
study, several experts concluded that  this copy could have been made in Asia.

There are many clues as to the possibility of nuns teaching the finer
points of lace making in Asia, but it is generally not documented very  well
and
would have been very controversial in Europe in the period when  handmade
bobbin lace was "going out of business".  The wealthy had  connections with
lace dealers, and could have handmade laces made wherever  they could be
completed at the least expense.

My handkerchief is too small in size to be an 18th C. "flirting  device"
(clue 1).  It has an Art Deco-style monogram on the  linen (clue 2).  The lace
is made to turn corners, whereas the  original lace would have been
gathered at the corners (clue 3).  The  lace is sewn on by a sewing machine
(clue
4).  Etc.

This has been studied in a museum using the best possible  magnification
and photographic equipment, and it has been compared to  the original 18th C.
lace.  Most collectors would have discarded  the handkerchief, but I felt
young inexperienced scholars of the future can  learn a lot from examples like
it.  It was offered as a gift to the museum  - for study purposes.  After
over a year with no action, I asked that it be  returned.  Museums tend to be
short-sighted, to the detriment of  future research.

Early in Arachne's history, we had a lacemaker from India who had a
Master's Degree from a London university.  Her children were in  university.
She
was employed by one of India's largest corporations.   She made lace as a
hobby.  So, technically, handmade lace is made in  India.  If it is
"manufactured", it is probably made by machine  now, with perhaps a few
exceptions
(the same as everywhere in the  world).  From time-to-time we do read about
Asian lacemakers - in  our Guild magazines.  Japanese and Korean lacemakers
attend OIDFA  Congresses, and there is a good exchange of information and
teachers in  place.  You have to consider the "economic" impact on womens'
activities of this kind in some nations.

Your question was brief, but there is much to consider.  Is  this helpful
information?

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center